I have never been a lover of history or art but I have always appreciated and respected it. Getting to know historic and amazing museums have made me open up my mind and be in awe by the amazing details and graphic display that the artist portrayed. In my latest vacation I had the amazing opportuniy to visit the Mona Lisa Exhibition in the Louvre Museum in France. The most famous, visited, copied and talked about painting in the world.
The museum has been exhibiting the portrait painted by Leonardo da Vinci in 1506 from 1797. The Louvre museum has been open since 1793. The location was chosen given its adquisition of King Francis I of the Republic of France.
The exhibition is beyond full all the time and people from all around the world come to admire the unique painting that is said to be looking at you from every direction and carries secrets from what is rumored to be da Vinci’s underlying messages inside every one of his painting.
Highly gaurded and highly insured in over 100 million dollars, Da Vinci’s painting is the awe of the artistic world, whether it is of the two different symmetric backgrounds, detail or the fact that da Vinci painted it.
Fun Facts about the painting:
- It’s the most copied painting in the world.
- The eyebrows and eyelashes of Mona Lisa have disappeared with time and over cleaning
- It’s insured for 100 million dollars
- It is worth over 700 million dollars
- Napoleon used to own the painting because he was obsessed with the beauty of the woman in the painting
- Mona Lisa isn’t her real name
- The glass that covers her in the museum is bullet proof
- Has been the subject of two art terrorism attacks directed on her
- Is painted in wood